500 Errol Rd W
Sarnia, ON N7V 1X7
Fun event for families & friends— No experience necessary!
$ 25 per person (inc. food & prizes) (16 and younger $10)
Event will include on-ice orientation, practice and team play and friendly competition.
Participants will be expected to seek pledges (tax-receiptable) prior to event.
ALL PROCEEDS TO RURAL EDUCATION IN HAITI.
- Goal is to raise funds for rural education in Haut de St. Marc, Haiti (elementary/secondary & adult literacy)
- Participants are expected to seek pledges prior to the event
- Fun event for families & friends – all ages welcome
- Each team will play 8 ends (about 2-1/2 hours of curling total)
- 3:00 – 7:30 pm at Sarnia Golf & Curling Club
WHY RAISE FUNDS FOR EDUCATION IN HAITI?
Education is key to ending poverty.
If all students in low income countries left school with basic reading skills, 171 million people could be lifted out of poverty, which would be equivalent to a 12% cut in world poverty.
In the rural area of Haut de St. Marc, Haiti, Rayjon supports the Pinson school, with close to 200 students from preschool to grade 9. In this remote, mountainous area, few children stay in school throughout secondary levels (which begin at Grade 7 in Haiti). We are proud that 52% of students are girls!
The Power of Literacy
If all women completed primary education, there would be an estimated 66% reduction in mothers dying in childbirth, and 15% fewer child deaths, saving 1,089,000 lives globally each year.
Educated women are more likely to:
- avoid complications during pregnancy
- use public health care services
- have fewer, healthier children, with reduced mortality
The “Alpha” Literacy program in the Haut de St. Marc region will equip over 100 adults this year with the confidence, knowledge, and skills they need to create positive change in their communities. With your help we can bring this valuable program to new areas without prior access!